Better Life for All (BELIFA) is a registered farmer-owned Community Based Organization formed in 2005 with headquarters in Mzimba Boma under the M'mbelwa District Assembly. The organisation was formed by farmers of the same interest; it is owned by farmer communities' in Mzimba district.
The organisation was formed after realising the need that the farming community has; therefore it strives to join efforts of the farmer-members in improving livelihoods and curbing day-to-day challenges.
BELIFA is composed of groups that collectively form the organisation's centres, such as; Njuyu, Hora, Eswazini, Kazomba, Champhira, Mbawa, Luwerezi, Emfeni, Mpherembe, Bwengu, EPAs of Mzuzu ADD. The organization has also groups in Lilongwe and Ntchisi in central region and it intends to further expand its outreach to the whole nation.
BELIFA's coordination and organisation has attracted the interest of many key players in the economy of the country. Different people of diferent socio-economic levels are becoming members, leading to growth of the organistion; the new members are motivated to join due to services of the organisation and are contributing a lot to further development of the organization.
BELIFA is run by farmers, in collaboration with professional staff from department of Animal Science, Agriculture Research, University of Malawi and Mzuzu ADD. The core business of BELIFA is embeded in the fact that development is diverse and needs of people are intergrated and therefore its development approach is intergrated. It has embarked on livestock, horticulture and marketing businesses where it is producing cattle, pigs and crops for sale to Lilongwe Cold Storage Company, secondary schools and local markerts.
BELIFA'S MISSION STATEMENT
BELIFA strives to improve the livelihood of rural communities through promotion of small and medium enterprises and community empowerment through implementing strategies that enhance food security; natural resources conservation; HIV/AIDS prevention at household level. The organization centers on the production of Crops and Livestock with a bussiness perspective; natural resources management and conservation.
VISION, VALUES AND PRINCIPLES
To become a world class farmer-owned organisation with professional management team. The core values and principles of BELIFA are as follows:
- Farmers together can solve common problems
- Group markerting and operations might increase farmers' status
- Farmer participatory research activities can have more impact among the farmers
The objective of BELIFA is to empower communities and implement strategies that enhance food security; Natural Resources Conservation, HIV/AIDS prevention and mitigation of socio-economic and psychosocial negative impact on the community by-
- Increasing food security and income of farm families through diversified and improved agricultural production; use of small-scale irrigation equipment such as treadle pumps
- Provision of extension and training advice; availability of farm inputs and market opportunities
- Improving community based management of natural resources in areas of land, water, fisheries, forestry and wildlife.
- Improving income of farm families with emphasis on female- and child-headed households through improved access to income generating activities (IGAs);
- Implementing programmes of HIV/AIDS prevention, behaviour change and mitigation to increase productivity among farm families.
- Improving soil fertility and conservation through use of sustainable farming systems such as attaining appropriate plant population, weed control, rain water harvesting, pest control in fields and granaries.
- Improving human nutrition by promoting technologies and practices that enhance community nutritional status.